Wednesday 24 February 2016

Research other Design Professionals

Part of the Silver Arts Award Challenge is to research career pathways. As well as asking questions of my Arts Tutor Ami I asked my Aunt who also happens to be an Artist working in the design field. Here's what she said in response to my questions:

1) What is your job title?

Design director

2) When did you first start your Career?

September 1998


3) Did you go to College prior to starting your career?

Yes, I did a first diploma in art and design, a National Diploma in Design and a BA Honors in Design


4) What inspired you to be a designer/run your own business?

I was always a creative person and designing & art seemed to come naturally to me. Anything art & design inspired me from portrait photography to architecture.


5) Do you enjoy your work?

Yes
 
6) Were you encouraged to pursue what you love/loved?

Very much so., I started A Levels at school doing Geography, Biology, Art and Sport. I did a year but I knew in my heart it wasn't where I wanted to be, and I didn't really know where I was going with it. I went home one day and told my mum I wanted to go to Art School, rather than sending me back to school she took me to Hastings Art School the next day with my portfolio and got me enrolled on the First Diploma course starting a week later, the rest is history and without that support I would have never of got to where I am now.


7) What's your favourite part of your job?

Being creative & problem solving


8) Do you work long hours?

8 hours a day, with the odd late night


9) How has your career developed?

After working hard I left Uni with a 2:1 and a good portfolio, I had many numerous interviews and I was offered a job. I started as a Junior designer and after a few years of learning new computer skills, programs, typography skills and how the real world worked in design,  I worked on a pitch for the juice drink Five Alive and the client picked my design and that really kick started my career, over the years I then became a middle weight designer, a senior designer and now I am a design director looking after the junior designers that I once was!


10) Is there anything else career wise you would like to achieve?

No, I could go on to own my own company or indeed part own the company I work at now but it's a stressful and highly competitive industry.


11) Do you have any advice or wise words for me?

Work hard, always be as creative as you can, imagination is everything, think outside the box, take inspiration from what's around you, listen and absorb knowledge from people with experience and always be prepared to take criticism it will push you further.

No comments:

Post a Comment